We routinely advise employers on issues arising from engagement, discipline and disengagement of employees. We also represent them in litigation arising from employment and labour matters.
We have over the years acquired extensive knowledge of and experience in employment law and practice in Nigeria. Our lawyers keenly follow the developments in the fast changing employment and labour jurisprudence in this jurisdiction. We leverage on this constant monitoring to offer the most current and relevant services to our clients at all times. Our clients cut across both the private and the public sector and range from multinational and local employers in the private sector to ministries, departments and agencies in the public sector.
Highlights of our experience
- Currently representing the Nigerian subsidiary of one of the leading global computer software and enterprise solutions companies at the National Industrial Court in a suit filed by an ex-employee who was laid off following a re-structuring of the company’s business.
- Represented the Nigerian subsidiary of a leading retail chain before the Industrial Arbitration Panel in a labour dispute involving the attempted unionism of some of its management employees.
- Legal advisory and transaction support to various multinational companies operating in Nigeria during the implementation of their respective redundancy plans.
- General employment law advisory opinion to a leading United States based law firm in connection with the Nigerian business of the Nigerian affiliate of one of its clients, a leading global retailer.
- Successfully represented a state government in Nigeria at the National Industrial Court in a suit against the Nigeria Labour Congress in respect of the compliance of the Enugu State Government with the Minimum Wage Act in which the industrial action embarked upon by public servants in Enugu State was declared unlawful.
- Represented one of the leading global cargo inspection companies in the negotiation of collective bargaining agreements with a trade union.
- Successfully represented a registered trade union in a suit it commenced before the National Industrial Court to stop a rival trade union from encroaching on its area of jurisdiction