We provide tax advisory, tax compliance and tax litigation services to clients in various sectors of the Nigerian economy, including energy and natural resources, manufacturing, agriculture, information technology, real estate, healthcare and gaming industries.
We have a unique team, which comprises lawyers with accounting, finance and law qualifications and practice experience.
Our experience includes –
- representing a leading petroleum products marketing company in a tax litigation involving a tax dispute with the Federal Inland Revenue Service (“FIRS”) at the Supreme Court;
- advising and supporting one of the “Big Four” international accounting and audit firms in Nigeria in the prosecution of a tax appeal for its client at the Tax Appeal Tribunal (“TAT”);
- representing the Nigerian subsidiary of a leading global electronics appliance manufacturer at the TAT in respect of a tax dispute with a state government;
- representing a healthcare services provider at the TAT in respect of a dispute with a state government;
- representing a client at the Federal High Court in a suit brought against the FIRS for directing a bank to “place a lien” on the client’s banking account maintained with the bank;
- represented a high net worth individual in a tax evasion charge at the Lagos State High Court on the instruction of the employer, a leading oil and gas conglomerate;
- representing one of the leading banks in Nigeria in respect matter relating to state taxes in all the states in south east Nigeria;
- representing one of the leading banks in Nigeria at the TAT in respect of different tax disputes with two state governments;
- representing a state government in a tax litigation at the Federal High Court;
- representing a leading conglomerate in Nigeria before the Body of Appeal Commissioners (“BAC”) (now TAT) and the Federal High Court;
- representing Nigeria’s foremost estate agency in a tax litigation initiated by the Lagos State Board of Internal Revenue at the High Court of Lagos State to recover disputed back taxes;
- representing one of the state governments in Nigeria in a tax litigation at the Supreme Court;
- advising one of the biggest multinational industrial conglomerates in the world on the Nigerian tax aspects of the very recent merger of its oil and gas undertaking with one of the biggest multinational oil service companies in the world;
- assisting one of the leading indigenous ICT conglomerates on the restructuring of its Nigerian operations. Engagement included legal, regulatory and tax advice on the proposed merger of 5 subsidiary and related companies, liaison with the FIRS and general legal advice and support;
- providing tax structuring/advisory services to various multinational companies either operating or intending to do business in Nigeria;
- conductimg tax due diligence for a leading global private equity fund manager on its proposed investments in a leading indigenous ICT company, pharmaceutical chain and other healthcare service providers in Nigeria;
- providing tax advisory services to an international donor agency on the tax impact of proposed business models, determining the most tax efficient model, and proposing the necessary tax reforms to achieve the objective of the project;
- providing tax support to a leading indigenous ICT company on claim of tax refund and resolution of tax audit liabilities;
- providing tax support to various local and multinational companies in respect of tax audits being conducted by FIRS and relevant State Board of Internal Revenue, resulting in cumulative tax savings;
- providing tax compliance (computation, review, filing and audit support) for several clients, including the Nigerian subsidiary of the world’s leading enterprise software company and a global leader in the consumer electronics business; and
- providing tax compliance support at various times to the Boards of Internal Revenue of Edo state, Lagos state, and Enugu state on the audit of tax records of various companies operating in these states.